About Divanity

Divanity, the blogspot, was derived from a team by the same name that specializes in stylings of all sorts - hair, makeup, wardrobe, etc. The ladies - Hannah SFO, Mia G, Hazel S, Agee Dee, and Monique J - initially decided upon engaging in such a project in order to put the pleasures coming from retail abuse to good use. Fortunately, the project blossomed and nearly a year later, www.divanity.blogspot.com is heavy in effect. Spreading the word about fabulous finds with respect to merchandise, products, restos, spas, and the like has been well-received by readers.

With the movement expanding, our team (now a sextet with the recent addition of Ms. Margaux C.) is now equipped to dish out exclusive invites, promos and even occasional giveaways from our established client base. Therefore, Divanity strives to keep bringing followers what they want...


As a reader, your comments/suggestions are much appreciated and feel free to partake in the polls, forum, and other features of the site.

Keep living your life with Divanity!

Subscribe to Divanity

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Sunday, September 6, 2009

Make A Statement

Well...if I'm gonna make a comeback, then obviously I want to "make a statement". =P

It feels good to be back ladies and I have heaps to share with everyone. First off, I want to touch on the topic of statement shirts (I can just picture the light of recognition graced on your faces as you read this..."Ahhh!"). Now, when I say "statement shirts", this refers to tees that dawn quotes, artist names, or even iconic images. They don't necessarily have to have words on the
m and some words do NOT equate to making a statement. Basically, a brand name is not a statement, but a specific line under that brand is a statement (i.e. Dior is not the statement, but "J'Adore Dior" is). Comprendez?

See, in my opinion, wearing a statement shirt shows that you have a sense of pride and humor and that is
always appealing.

Here are some of the statements shirts that you'd find i
n my closet:
Long Live The King.

Nope, I'm not a b-girl, but I'm a HUGE fan.

We
ll...this really speaks for itself.


And this is just adorable. =P



The eternal beauty icon.



Here are some statement shirts that I'm aiming to have in my closet:

My homegirl T showed me this. So creative, right?!
Fan for life.
Barack Obama may be becoming more unpopular these days, but that isn't the case with Mrs. Obama! Aside from being highly intelligent, spunky, and fashionable...her toned arms alone are iconic!



With respect to the fashionable concept, like with vintage tees, the whole point of statement shirts is to wear something that is really unique or to embrace a particular time. For those reasons, I like to do a lot of digging in boutiques and even online...emphasis on the word "digging", because it really is up to you on how original your search will be. Liken it to beat-makers digging in the crates - they share common knowledge about certain spots, but they also have their secret spots for fabulous finds. So in the spirit of Divanity-hood, I will mention a few places to get you started, but the rest is up to you. *wink, wink*

Of course, I like hitting up music sites like Okayplayer.com for artist/band and world tour shirts (obviously the best place to get world tour shirts, though, is by catching your fave concerts) plus one of my most prized tees of all time is my baby tee from the okayma* limited edition. Surprisingly, boutiques like American Blvd. (old school!) and Greyone Social have some really interesting pieces, but you have to be aware of how many people will get hold of a particular design.

And so my dears, that should suffice as start-up info...a few more tips and I'll be wrapping up this long-awaited new post:

1) Don't forget that with tees, you must keep in mind the types of cuts and your body type. Low v-necks don't look too nice on busty ladies, lengthier tees to shirt dresses hide love handles, and circumference and length of sleeves should be taken into consideration depending on skinny or meatier arms

2) If you really want to be unique, come up with your own designs and have them go thru silkscreen printing. I'm being told these days that when designing, it is better to use Adobe InDesign as opposed to Photoshop since images do not get pixelated when resized. Hey, it's not a bad idea to be a lil' Narcissistic and have a portrait of yourself done. You want to immortalize yourself while you're a hottie. Let's put it this way...I have a world tour tee from when I watched D'Angelo's concert during his Voodoo tour in 2001 and we all know he was a neosoul music God then. Fast forward to present day and he looks like Freeway of Roc-A-Fella Records! Oh dear Lord. So I try to erase the knowledge of what he looks like now and take the way-back machine to the 2001 D'Angelo. Have I made my point?!

AND lastly...

3) Being a hypocrite or a poser is
not cute. Make a true statement. Don't rep a shirt that has nothing to do with your personality. Harsh, but I have your best interests at heart girls.

So there we have it, lovely ladies. I'm so glad you all waited patiently for updates and our team is completely thrilled at the prospect of booming activity on this site here on out. Keep checking back with us every few days!

Until next time, always remember to live your life with Divanity!


Monique

No comments: